Monday, February 7, 2011

18th Century Crown Jewel!


 This 18th century tablecloth is an absolutely stunning piece that I found at the beautiful site of http://www.myfrenchcountryhome.blogspot.com/  The exquisite detail of this piece is breathtaking and I just had to do a post on it which Sharon kindly allowed me to do.  This piece is circa 18th century and is in mint condition with the exception of two small holes that could easily be repaired.



Look at the embroidery done on a very fine linen .....
this is a "crown" which Sharon has never seen on  any of her pieces ..... I wonder then if this could be a "royal" piece .....

It certainly would be beautiful enough to grace the table of Marie Antoinette .... and most certainly of M.A. the 2nd!


I do believe her majesty would have loved to have that cloth at one of her tables .... the little confections would have looked perfect sitting atop such a graceful cloth ....



This beautiful cloth has embroidered flowers, dragon-flies, bees and of course the "crowns" .... beautiful 18th century motifs on a piece of history that is rare and timeless ......


I adore this cloth .... I wonder who sat down to tea at this cloth .... what conversations were whispered ..... what gossip did ensue and what stories would this tablecloth tell us!
This is a magnificent piece ..... are you going to have your next tea party on it or mount it on the wall of your dining room to be forever immortal .....

Visit Sharon at http://www.myfrenchcountryhome.blogspot.com/  for this exquisite piece and many more beautiful monogrammed linens and pieces.
 photo signature-29_zps152a2019.png

9 comments:

sharon santoni at my french country home said...

Hi MA
Thank you for choosing my tablecloth to talk about, you have given it the truly royal treatment that it deserves!
I love your phrase about wondering about the conversations that this cloth has been witness to, it's something I think about alot when handling these antique textiles.
Thanks again
have a great week
Sharon

Unknown said...

oooolala Exquisite !! yes what DID they say !!! good to dreamm Lovely thankyou fay xxx

Vær våken said...

I will definitely have my next tea party on it! What a lovely post! And I absolutely love your new picture on top! Enchanting picture! Have a great week!

Kristin xx

chateaudelille said...

Me too. Love your pic at the top as well as the linen. I collect linen and sometimes dont get around to usuing it all. Have a great week. Fiona

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

VOTRE MAJESTÉ, THIS IS DIVINE, and it only can be, coming from you. Oh how I want to visit with you and talk about all the things that make us tick!! LOVELY MY QUEEN! Anita

Rich Spen said...

This particular coronet denotes that the original owner was a Spanish Marqués / Marquesa.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful piece! I adore such embroidery, the work and the patience...
It has a crest, I am sure it has royal roots!
Absolutely devine!

Hamptontoes said...

That is one stunning tablecloth...wow, can you imagine the dinners around it?

Divine Theatre said...

This is so beautiful. I wonder how many hours it took to embroider? Thank you for sharing it with us!

xo

Andie

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails