Monday, February 14, 2011

St. Valentine's Day!

Happy St. Valentine's Day ..... there are varied thoughts on the origin of St. Valentine but the main theory is that he was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity and died on February 14th 269 A.D.  Legend says that St. Valentine left a note for the jailor's daughter, signed from "Your Valentine" ......


So on this Valentine's Day ..... sample a Laduree confection...


Wear some gorgeous Miss Dior perfume ..... and go floating above Paris ....


Hang a beautiful piece of artwork from The Pink Pagoda on your wall ....



Send the one you love some beautiful blooms ....





.... if you are lucky go to celebrate St. Valentine at Laduree ..... however, I will probably be  cooking a delicious dinner  for Andrew and Georgiana and watching one of my favourite Australian films .... "Picnic at Hanging Rock" .....







.... it is an iconic Australian film and was first screened in 1975 and directed by the great Peter Weir ......   "On St. Valentine's Day in 1900 a party of schoolgirls set out to picnic at Hanging Rock ..... some were never to return ....."
It is a very haunting movie and was based on the novel by Joan Lindsay and rumoured to be based on a true story.  It received international acclaim and the film centres on a party of schoolgirls from Appleyard College in Victoria, Australia who go for a picnic on St. Valentine's Day.  The girls mysteriously vanish after being drawn toward an eerie like rock formation called "Hanging Rock" in the Macedon Ranges.  It is known for it's eerie yet hauntingly beautiful soundtrack and the unresolved story ........





So whatever you are doing or wherever you are dear friends Happy St. Valentine's Day!  I am sad today as our second son Dominic is moving to Brisbane to go to university, so it is even more poignant I think that the greatest gift of all is to love and be loved and that our families are the most precious commoditiy in the world! This is a picture of all of us together last Christmas and it reminds me of such beautiful family memories.  Good luck Dom we love you and will miss you so much ...... (I will see you in Brisbane this Friday to check out the apartment!!!!)

images http://www.laduree.fr/
http://www.dior.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thepinkpagoda
http://www.google.com/
http://www.floral-art-school.com.au/
 photo signature-29_zps152a2019.png

13 comments:

Jenny said...

Lovely post Frances, whatever did become of Miranda..... Love the soundtrack to that movie too. Happy Valentines Day! ;-)

chateaudelille said...

Happy valentines Day! Isnt it sad that so much has to change. Now I get the empty nest syndrome. Hugs, Fiona

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

EVERYTHING about this post speaks elegance, royalty and most of all, LOVE. Dearest heart, thank you for visiting my post. The rooms, especially the room with my humble but COMFORTABLE settee is surely NOT finished. But we have been working so hard and I am so tired and BEHIND in my blogging...I so need another day off to catch up. You look so beautiful; your husband is a lucky man. MAY YOU ENJOY MANY YEARS OF HEALTH AND BEAUTY IN YOUR LIVES!!! Anita

annechovie said...

Thanks for all of the beautiful images, Frances! All of the best to your son with his move and Happy V Day! xo

Marie Söderberg said...

oh..I can imagine how its feels when your child is moving..as a mother your heart is crying:(, its so true as you write that your family is the greatest gift of all.:))
You look absolutely stunning at that picture..Can I use that as a presentation of you to my readers, about your guest posts?
Thank you sooo much Im so Happy for that, What a present today ! I will email you this week..
happy valentine my friend :))//hugs from Marie

The enchanted home said...

Gorgeous post in honor of Valentines! How I wish I was lucky enough to celebrate in the beauty and splendor of Faudree!! That first picture is downright dreamy.....love it all. Hope you had a beauitful day!

Rattus Scribus said...

Frances,
I love your spirit that comes through in everything you post. Valentine is special to Anita and I because it was the day we met lo those many years ago.

I did a humorous take on Valentine on my blog Heavenly Minded and Earthly Good. I think you'll get a kick out of it.

Happiness and health to you and your family.

Ruben

Karina Gentinetta said...

Belated Happy Valentine's Day, Frances! You are so right. The greatest gift in the world is not only to love, but to be loved!

Champagne Macarons said...

Oh, to be in floating above Paris celebrating Valentine's Day.. how wonderful that would be!?
I hope your day was filled with love, happiness and pink champagne!
Wishing you a beautiful rest of the week!
xoxo, B

Tonya said...

Beautiful Post Franny!

I remember when "Picnic at Hanging Rock" was first released I was desperate to go see it and Mum was reluctant - she thought I would be too haunted by it! And.....I am still haunted by it - but by it's eternal beauty!

Friday is nearly here! The very excited Welcoming Party awaits You!!
Love Ton!

sharon santoni at my french country home said...

Lovely post Frances, Ii had forgotten about that film, I know it was good at the time. Great family photo around the tree, it must be hard with the boys away.
Sharon

White French said...

Hi Francis, love your post it is wonderfully and tasfully done, delicate and femanine.
I am from Brisbane and am in contact with Karina so followed your flood experience we are greatly blessed that no damage done to our home or shop Beverley.

Melissah said...

I loved Picnic at Hanging Rock - I first saw it when I was about 12 & have watched it many times since. I have also picniced there & gone expoloring a number of times & although the rock is smaller than you imagine - it is incredibly easy to loose your way so the story is quite believable. I remember thinking how pretty Miranda was I loved all those gorgeous white dresses with the black lace up boots.
x
Melissah

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails