Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chicken and Pea Risotto for Hamptontoes!

In a heavy base fry-pan place about a tablespoon of butter on medium heat.
In another saucepan bring to the boil 1 litre (4cups) of chicken stock plus add a little bit of water.
The butter will be golden so add 1 large chopped/diced brown onion and saute.....if it browns a little too much it doesn't matter (I sometimes think it tastes a little better as it becomes caramelized).
Sip of wine preferably chardonnay!
In a wok style fry-pan pour some olive oil just to cover the base and cook however much chicken strips you would like...I use about 4 cupfuls.
Add sea salt and cracked black pepper to your taste... I love sea salt!
Cook the chicken well and try and achieve a golden brown exterior as I don't like the look of white chicken in my risotto but whatever is your taste.
Whilst this is happening add about 350gm or 2 cups of arborio rice to the onion and lightly cover with olive oil so that the grains are lightly coated.
Next add the boiling stock which I just turn to simmer to the rice slowly stirring.
Just add the stock slowly and continue to stir as it reduces.
Keep an eye on the chicken at the front and if you feel it is ready just turn to low and add about a cup of peas and stir in.
Sip of wine......
Keep stirring the stock into the rice and it gradually becomes plump. Don't worry if it starts to stick just use your spatula to scrape across the bottom constantly moving the rice around but without it becoming crushed.
I find the whole process takes about 45mins.
Have a taste of the rice and if you feel it is soft and cooked enough (no nuttiness) then add about 1 tablespoons each of parmesan and mozzarella. If you feel the rice is not ready just stir in some more water.
Then add the chicken and peas to the rice mixture and allow to simmer or turn off as it does stay hot in the heavy based pan.
I like to put a fresh rocket (arugula for my friends in America!) shaved parmesan and a drizzle of balsamic as a side to the risotto. Also, some lovely crusty ciabata adds that lovely comfort food feel! I hope you enjoy and I hope I have remembered the recipe correctly! This is a more gluggy risotto I think from the north of Italy .. it is not meant to be wet or sloppy like you usually get in restaurants.
Now have another sip of wine as you have done a beautiful job! Enjoy!
 photo signature-29_zps152a2019.png

3 comments:

Hamptontoes said...

I have just printed the recipe and I'm going to make tonight...I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

M.A. the 2nd ~ Frances Russell said...

You are so welcome and I know you will do a beautiful job! Enjoy!

Erica Cook said...

Thanks for sharing! I discovered your lovely blog because of Hamptontoes and will be following! :) Erica

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails